Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Sinner!

Recently I had all the kids in the car with me and I took the opportunity to pose them some Uncle Josh questions. We were having fun considering one of the marriage related questions when it became clear that Obadiah had no time for this subject, already having determined who he was going to marry. While we all approved of his choice (no word yet on how Obadiah's conversation with the girl's father went) one of the girls asked him about a neighbor with whom Obadiah has played on occasion. 
He responded to the suggestion with indignation. "No! Her a sinner!"
We were all so aghast at this uncouth observation that it took a while to register what he said. It led to a very interesting conversation about theology and the limits of polite observation.
I said a number of things to Obadiah, chastening things I hope. But one thing I did not say is that "we are all sinners." 
I do sometimes run (under duress and in wheezing spurts) but that does not make me a runner. I can and do speak up, but not enough to qualify me as a loudmouth. In truth, I blog, but perhaps not enough to be a real blogger.
And these are important distinctions because these are meaningful categories. 
"Sinner" is a meaningful category. It describes someone whose patterns of behavior reflect a systemic, habitual resistance to the will of God. That is not true of me, by the grace of God.
That's not to say that I am perfect or that I do not sin. But the sin of which I am regrettably guilty does not amount to a feature of my identity. We are so shy of making this case because it invites a greater scrutiny and  accusations of hypocrisy. And I'd like to avoid that by glossing over the distinctions and downplaying the difference the gospel has made in my life and heart. But I have to have more respect for the accomplishments of grace than for the tongues of sinners.
If I call myself a sinner I make the category less meaningful and I deny the sanctifying work that has been done in my life which is one of the chief features and benefits of being Christ's disciple.  
I have no more right to call myself a sinner than to call myself a runner (but of the two I could make the case for "sinner" much more persuasively.)

1 comment: